Has Facebook Put Our Data in Danger?

Facebook has been no stranger to investigations of potential leaks or selling of user data. We saw this just last year when Mark Zuckerberg testified in front of the US Congress over failing to prevent a data-mining firm from gathering personal information of 87 million Facebook users to try and influence elections. Now 8 states and DC will be launching an antitrust investigation against the social media giant.

The antitrust investigation being launched against Facebook is expected to focus on advertising prices, data, and consumer privacy. The plan from leaders of the investigation is to look at
if Facebook has put consumer data at risk again on Facebook as well as on their more recent acquisitions of WhatsApp and Instagram. With the history that Facebook has had with these issues in the past, its not surprising to see states wanting to use everything at their disposal to investigate this again.

Image result for mark zuckerberg congress
Zuckerberg testifying in front on the US Congress in 2018
From someone who uses both Facebook and Instagram, its alarming to see that their could be possibility of even more issues with Facebook when it comes to user data. However at the same time it is not surprising just from my time using the apps. The ads are clearly personalized to what your interests are and what you've been searching. I'll get ads on Facebook everyday for some product that I looked at recently or even just things related to something I searched recently. Its amazing that they'll try to deny a connection there when there's no possible way that its just coincidence. I'll get ads for merchandise or memorabilia linked to my favorite teams in big sports, and there's no possible way that's just some coincidence. I'll even see this with Google, they'll send me notifications about sports games that are starting if I looked up something about that team before. Its just plain creepy to see those notifications pop up on my phone and in the apps I use now.

You can read more on the investigation going on against Facebook here

Comments

Popular Posts